Sunday, September 04, 2011

What Is And What Should Never Be

One of the "fun" things about iPod/iTunes is the play count.  So, the other day I was listening to Led Zeppelin, and being the music geek that I am, I decided to see which Led Zeppelin albums I listen to most.  This is average play count per song for each album, over the last 14 months (last time I reset the counters).
  • II - 5.1
  • III - 4.8
  • Led Zeppelin (I) - 3.9
  • Presence - 3.0
  • Houses Of the Holy - 2.8
  • Zoso - 2.6
  • Physical Graffiti - 1.4
Does it mean I like "Presence" more than "Zoso"?  Not at all.  But LZ-III and Presence are 2 albums I didn't have on vinyl, and are less burned-into-my-brain.  Physical Graffiti has some of Zep's best stuff, but is a double album, and also some less wonderful....  

Now, which LedZep songs get played the most?
  • Immigrant Song - 13 plays
  • Whole Lotta Love - 11 plays
  • Ramble On - 9 plays
  • Living Loving Maid - 6 plays
  • Trampled Under Foot - 6 plays
Again, what does it mean?  Well, one this it means is that some songs are on playlists, like "Rolling STone's Top 500 Songs" or "American Top 40 Hits of 1969".... 

Anyway, none of it really "means" anything.  But I still get a kick out of it.

No comments: