Friday, August 03, 2012

Skunked (revisited)

3 Days with no posts, sorry 'bout that.  So let's get back into it with a repost from this date (8/3) in 2005.  As usual, updated a bit.
- - - - - - - - -


From Billboard's "This Day In Music" site [dead link]:
on this day in 1974, Guitarist Jeff Baxter quits Steely Dan and joins the Doobie Brothers. I always liked Skunk Baxter, even though he invited Michael McDonald to ruin the Doobies..... In his own words (see link):  "For example, when I joined the Doobie Bros I brought Michael McDonald to the band, I think you would agree that there was a definite change. "
- - - - - - - - -



Definite change.......   um, yeah.  Let's just say I'm not a big fan of the change Michael McDonald brought to the Doobie Brothers.  But that's ok, I know there were issues with Tom Johnston's health, and they had to do something.

And I do like Skunk Baxter's guitar work.  As a founding memeber of Steely Dan , he appeared on thier first 3 albums, contributing fine work like the solo in "Rikki Don't Lose That Number".  Baxter was with the Doobies until 1979, for the albums "Stampede", "Takin' It To The Streets", "Livin' On The Fault Line", and Minute By Minute".  Probably the most successful period for the Doobies.



No comments: