Monday, November 19, 2012

DSOTM Musings.....

As in Dark Side Of The Moon.  The iconic 1973 ablum from Pink Floyd:

So....  we're out shopping for some clothes the other day and my Middle-Schooler son decides that the simply MUST have the tee-shirt with the DSOTM inspired design.  Which got me thinking that I was his age when that album came out!  Naturally, when we got home, I had to dial it up on the sound system.  During the course of the nexxt 40 minutes, I made a comment pointing out that DSOTM was, in fact, an IMPORTANT album.  To which my wife resonded "why".  This of course led to much sputtering and stammering and struggling to explain from me.  I struggled to find words about the sonic landscape, the lyrical insights, and such.  But failing to come up with a remotely concise explanation.  I'd say "you just had to be there", but she was, in fact "there".  But not nearly as obsessed with music.  I idid (subsequently) find a web-site explaing how to listen to Dark Side Of The Moon....  That might've helped.


This album was on the Billboard charts for 741 weeks!  (That's over 14 years).  I remember a music teacher (in my middle school years) using the song "Money" in class, as an example of integrating day-to-day sounds into music compositions.  And doing really poorly on the subsequent homework. 

I remember thinking that the lyrics to "Time" were really cool when I was 15, and having a whole new insight on them at 30.  Not to mention 50....

And you run and you run to catch up to the sun but it's sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the rame in a relitive way  but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.......

Well, I've exceeded the "terse" require,emt of blogging, and still made little sense.  Publish anyway!




No comments: