Monday, April 07, 2014

The Road Goes On Forever...

I was listening to the Allman Brothers the other day, one of my more-favored bands for a long time. 
But, I can't claim to be an early adopter.  The reality is, when they released their first album, I was a 9 year old kid living in West Virginia, and listening to American Top 40 on WKAZ (AM)...  And ABB wasn't exactly an AT40 kind of band.  I didn't really transition into "real rock radio" until '72 or '73.  My first real recollection of ABB was when "Rambling Man" was a hit (their 1st Top 40)...  Over the next couple of years, I got to know their popular stuff via WDVE, which was AOR in the '70s.  So, when ABB released a greatest hits album in 1975, I jumped on it.  And was hooked.  Over the years I've filled out the collection pretty well, and I currently own almost all of their music released between 1969 and 1979.



Meanwhile, I've only seen ABB in concert once.  If the info on the internet is right, it was December 29th, 1981, at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh.  With Molly Hatchet as the warm up band.  I remember the show as being just OK... at best.

ABB's Setlist that night:
  • Jessica
  • Can't Take It With You
  • Blue Sky
  • Leavin'
  • I Got A Right To Be Wrong
  • You Don't Love Me
  • Midnight Rider
  • In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
  • Need Your Love So Bad
  • Melissa
  • Never Knew How Much (I Needed You)
  • One Way Out
  • Southbound
  • The Judgement
  • Statesboro Blues
Interesting (but not all that surprising), a big chunk of this show was songs from 1980's albums "Brothers of The Road" and "Reach For The Sky".  Which are not exactly renouned, defined by wikipedia as "a pair of critically slammed albums".  They disbanded in January 1982.  It looks like they only did a total of 7 shows after this one.

Of course, ABB re-reformed in 1989, and continues to tour today.  So the road does (seemingly) go on forever...

No comments: