Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Old Folks Boogie.... New Music from Old People


So I've been looking for some new music lately, but not too far from my comfort zone.  So that's led me to look at people from the '60's / '70's / '80's who are still churning out music.  And thanks to places like Amazon Prime Music, Spotify (and even YouTube), it's easy to explore.  And, if great, purchase.   Here's some stuff I've been listening to lately:

  • Joe Jackson - Fast Forward  (Released October 2015).   I'm really liking this one, purchased it outright.  There's some really super songs, almost everything is really solid.  Maybe 2-3that are... ... less good.  But the album is 16 songs and clocks in at just over 71 minutes, it's perhaps a bit long...  I agree with review on Allmusic: "a set of intelligent, sophisticated pop numbers that also leave room for him to experiment with a range of stylistic approaches ...  above all, this sounds like Joe Jackson, complete with his arch wit, polished songcraft, and intelligence that only occasionally dips into stuffiness"...  Joe Jackson is a comparative youngster at 62...
  •  
  • Mudcrutch - Mudcrutch 2 (Released May, 2016).  The second album from Tom Petty's "one-off" reformation of his original band.  It's very much a Tom Petty album, but has a nice loose feeling, the same kind of casual charm found on Travelling Wilburys.  Again, quoting Allmusic:  " the main charm ... is their casualness. Nobody here is attempting a major statement; they're simply laying back and tossing off songs".  And that's not a bad thing.  Tom Petty is 65....
  •   
  • Jeff Lynn's ELO  - Alone In The Universe (Released November 2015).  I became aware of this when Lynn performed "When I Was A Boy" on The Tonight Show.  I grabbed it on Prime not long after.   Jeff Lynn is 68.
  •   
  • Monkees - Good Times! (Released May 2016) - A surprisingly good album.  I initially dismissed, since I found 1996's Justice to be quite mediocre...  and Davy's passed on.  But this is a sold record.  As Allmusic puts it:  "...a joyous revival of the cheerful jangle that characterized the group's big '60s hits ... a buoyant love letter to everything that made the group".  Michael Nesmith is 73!
  •   
  • Graham Nash - This Path Tonight (Released April 2016).  just found this last night, and am really digging it on first listen.    I was a little worried, Nash has always seems a little pretentious to me, and overtly political.  But I'm not getting that feel here.   Really full sound, his voice is strong and clear, the songs are compelling.  One I've listened some more, I expect I'll purchase this one. Graham Nash is 74!
  •   

Anybody have any other suggestions?

No comments: