Thursday, August 17, 2017

And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed buy the moon...


So....  in case you didn't hear, there's going to be a big solar eclipse next Monday (08/17/2017).  And it's going to pastt pretty much right over us.  The forecast is for 99.85% magnitude at my office, and 99.59% at my home.  With the peak being just a bit after 1pm.

The schools will be closed, and quite a some people are taking vacation.  Unless I change my mind at the last minute, I'll be at work.  But there is lunch-time!

I was pondering it all the other day, during a lunch time walk, and decided to see if my iPhone could handle a quick snap of the sun (pre-eclipse).  It seems to have survived. Although all the sources say we should NOT try to directly photograph the sun during the eclipse.

- - -
the post title, of course, is from Pink Floyd's song "Eclipse" from the Dark Side Of The Moon album.

1 comment:

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

This post gives me pain because I wish I could see it too. I was present for the complete solar eclipse on the south coast of England and it was magical - the light before and after was completely unlike any other I've seen; and it turned out to be an amazing communal event with little flashes of light from people on cliffs along the curve of the coast as they took photos. (Of their families in the dark?) So . . . if you can take even a bit of time off work to watch it, I'd recommend it. It was slightly cloudy here so it was easier to watch without being blinded (!) - really quite mysterious, with a solid air of expectation as the moon slowly encroached on the sun. The darkness though, when it came, was over all too soon. Hardly lasted a few seconds after all that build up! Then an air of . . disappointment because something so special was gone? . . relief because the world hadn't come to an end? (!) a slightly downcast festival as everyone went home.