Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Isn't It Ironic?

No, not the Alanis Morissette  song, which uses non-ironic situations...

So...  one of my pet peeves is when people shotgun emails to huge groups of uninterested people.  Although it only really bugs me when I'm one of the uninterested people.  For example, at work today, somebody in one of our non-US offices added the group "US Field Employees" to an email response.This appears to include everybody in the US, but not in  the main office.  Probably a couple thousand names.  Text of the message was:

.Buenas tardes
[redacted name] sera el lider electrico de este proyecto
Gracias!
Saludos!


OK, not really that great a sin, probably not really worth getting too wound up about....  especially wound up enough to blog about it.  Except the inevitable response, the next sin:

Almost immediately, folk start to respond with comments like:  "I believe this email is for someone else other than myself ", and "I don't know what this is about" or "I'm confused why I received this".  All sent using reply-all.  I think this is a much worse sin, as it geometrically expands on the original sin. I'm pretty sure I've ranted about this before, even.

Which brings me to the ironic part.

The gentleman who, after three folk hit reply-all, sends out his own request:  "Can we please stop replying to all US FIELD EMPLOYEES?".  Which, of course, he sends via reply all.  

 I have to admit, I actually smiled a bit a that. And it didn't stop the replies, either...

No comments: