Monday, May 07, 2018

Worst Football Game?

I was talking with somebody at work, and the topic of the old St. Louis Cardinals football team came up.  I mentioned that one of the worst football games I rememebr was the Cardinals playing the NY Giants on Monday Night Football back in 1983. 

Seems odd that I would remember that game as being bad.  But I couldn't really remember why.  Except for missed field goals.  Missed firld goals stuck in my mind.

BUT: thanks to the glory of the internet, I was able to look it up.

October 24, 1983.  One web site described it thus:  "In a battle of two mediocre NFC East rivals, the Cardinals and Giants played for nearly five hours--and STILL couldn't produce a winner, as the game ended in a 20-20 tie, the last deadlock to date on MNF."

 Looking at the stats, the game featured:

  • Both teams were 2-5 on the season, not exactly a promising sign... 
  • 20 penalties for 195 yards (9 for STL, 11 for NYG)
  • 6 turnovers (3 for each team)
  • Neither quarterback managed 50% completions, neither team managed 200 net passing yards.
  • Combined, the teams missed 4 field goals (out of 8 attempts).  And STL missed 3 of 5 field goals, including a 19 yard attempt!
  • Each each team gave up a defensive touchdown (1 fumble return, 1 interception return)

I'm sure it's not the worst game ever.  And perhaps I was grumpy because I was watching it from a hotel in Walnut Creek California (on a business trip), where the game started a 6pm.

No comments: