Sunday, December 02, 2018

Album Review - Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Men From Earth



Artist:  Ozark Mountain Daredevils 
Album:  Men From Earth
Released:  1976


I discovered Ozark Mountain Daredevils via "If You Wanna Get To Heaven", the #25 hit from their 1st album (in mid 1974).  I'm not sure exactly when I picked up that album, but I think it was mid 1976.  An album that didn't immediately grab me (beyond the hit), but which steadily gained traction with me.  Sometime later, I got a cassette version of their second album (It'll Shine When It Shines, featuring the #3 hit from 1975, Jackie Blue). That album quickly caught my fancy.  Sometime in the early CD days I picked up a "Best Of"  CD, which included 3 from Don't Look Down.  Sometime later yet, I added a CD of "Don't Look Down", their 5th release.

Which brings us to now.  I've been thinking about filling out my collection with the albums I was missing (from their original run of A&M records).  Namely The Car Over The Lake, and Men From Earth.  And (possibly) the live album.   I was in Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving, and ended up on a record store excursion with my son.  We hit 3 different stores, each of which had a distinct (and different) mood.  This one came from Attic Records, in Millvale.  This place had a HUGE selection of used vinyl, CD's an 45's.  A little tight on space, but that's because every available spot was filled with music!  

Anyway, what's the scoop on this record?  Well, it is pretty solid, and has lots of the old-home funky that characterizes the first 2 albums.  There is a little "slickness:" that creep in to a couple of songs, though.  Especially on side two.  Worst example would be the song "It's How You Think" which could easily be Firefall, with electric piano, and flute or synth-horns or both)...  That and the sax at the end of Arroyo.  Nothing against Firefall, but when I think of Ozark Mtn Daredevils, I'm thinking harmonica and banjo...  But the rest of the album is really solid.

The album opens with Fly Away Home, which is pretty much the definitive Ozark Mountain Daredevils sound.  Great stuff, which moves into more great stuff, You Know Like I Know which was released as a single, and made it to #74.  It's a a perfect example of OMD in "pretty" mode (like Colorado song. As is Waterwheel...   Red Plum is a good example of the funky-weird OMD....

All in all, this is a very solid album.  Not quite as good as the first two, but quite good.  I'll give it a 7.0/10

As for obscurity?  I'll cay moderately high.  They didn't have many hits, they were always a little to "niche" for mainstream.  But a band I really like a lot.


Here's the back cover and inner sleeve:


Inner Sleeve



No comments: