Wednesday, March 20, 2019

End Of An Era?


Way back in September 2012, I was invited to join The World In Black And White (TWIBW), a blog focusing on Black And White photography (duh!).  I thought it was a pretty cool idea, just photos, no text (beyond title and/or comments).  I was recommended by a friend, and I think I submitted examples of my work to be accepted...  The concept was the site would be limited to 25 photographers, and if someone didn't post at least one photo per month, your spot would be given to somebody else.

Overall, it's been a good site, and my posts tended to get orders of magnitude higher for views/image compared to my personal black and white site (Happenstance Photography).  However, it has kind of lost it's way, and I'm pretty sure that it hasn't even had a moderator in a couple of years.  No new photographers have been added in ages, and only 6 people have posted in 2019.  The person who recommended me hasn't posted to the site since early 2016.

Looking at the last 3 months (Dec/Jan/Feb), this year compared to 3 years ago:  Overall views per post is down 71%, views per day is down 58%.  And number of posts is down 32%. 

Or looking at just my photos, and activity per year:

Any way you slice it, it is still ugly.

So, after 6.5 years, I think it is time to let it go. Even though I still get 4-5x the views there, it it trending the wrong way.  I won't rage-quit or delete all my photos or anything, rather just fade away...  like the site seems to be doing.

You can see all the images I posted to TWIBW here.



Aside:  Happenstance Photography blog has been around since  September 2006, but I evolved it into a spot to focus on my Black and White images in August, 2012 ( month before I joined The World In Black and White - probably NOT a coincidence).  Before that it was mostly a venue to talk about microstock photography, which I did for a while.  I continue operate Happenstance on a similar basis as TWIBW, but usually include camera info and location data.

No comments: