Thursday, December 05, 2019

2019 Year In Music (My year, at least)

I decided to do a look-back on albums I've added in 2019.  Not albums released in 2019, but albums that were added to my collection.  Just for giggles, and in case you're interested.



My criteria:  Complete albums that are new to me (not buying a digital version of something I have, or filling out an album I only had partial).  I included all formats:  digital downloads, CDs, Vinyl....  bought new or used.  I also decided to go 12/1/2018 though 11/30/2019, because I didn't feel like waiting till January.  Also, I used the date added to iTunes / iPod, there's sometimes some lag with getting albums ripped.

So here you go, with start with some raw numbers:

Over the year, I obtained something like 32 albums.  Most on vinyl, but some on CD and via digital downloads.

Here's a few standouts:
  • CYRIL - The Way Through.  2019 release from German Prog band.  This was a gift from my son.  Really great stuff, in regular rotation.  I need to do a review. (digital)
  • Wishbone Ash - Argus.  1972.  I picked this up on a whim, primarily because they seem to play this complete album in concert about 1/yr at the Wildey.  I was familiar with the name from way back when, but didn't know the music.  One of the year's especially pleasant surprises for me. (used vinyl) 
  • Rusty Young - Waitin' For The Sun.  2017 release from one of the founding members of Poco.  I picked this up  at the "merch" table when I saw Poco in November, got it signed by the band.  I plan to do a review. (new vinyl)
  • Tommy Tutone 2 - 1981 - I've had Tommy Tutone's 1980 debut album since it was current, but never dove deeper.  Perhaps since 867-5309 (Jenny) was so overplayed.  But it is, frankly, a great song, and the first album is super solid.  So I decided to try this one out.  And it is quite good.  (used vinyl)
  • Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else.  1958.  I've been listening to more jazz this year but mostly from my existing collection, or streaming services.  I only picked up a couple of albums, and tis one is by far my favorite.  I looked into it based on reviews of a couple of "best Jazz Album" lists on the internet.  (digital) 
  • Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Men From Earth.  1976 release from OMD.  Purchased used (vinyl) from Attic Records, in Millvale, PA.  Reviewed here.
  • Watershed - The More It Hurts, The More It Works.  I picked up this 2002 release after reading the book "Hitless Wonder" by Joe Oestreich (bass and vocals).  Some really great songs, and overall solid.  (digital)
  • Marquise Knox - Black and Blue.  2017 live album from the St. Louis bluesman.  I picked this up at his merch table, after seeing him at the Wildey. (CD)
  • Beethoven - Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 56: Beethoven Piano Sonatas Opp. 13, 27/2, 57, 81a - I only picked up a couple of classical pieces this year, this is my favorite. (digital)
  • Outlaws - Playing to Win.  1978.  I actually had this on cassette back in late '78, but it's been gone long enough that I didn't remember the music.  I was on an Outlaws kick, and listened to it streaming, then picked it up used vinyl.  This was the first Outlaws (studio) album without guitarist Henry Paul, and marks a pivot away from the country influences in their previous records.  Not as good as their previous albums, but better than the subsequent ones. IMHO, at least.

I really need to do reviews of some of these albums, I only did one of them so far...

So that's my list.  What did YOU discover in 2019 that we should know about?

No comments: