Tuesday, January 17, 2023

On the Charts, January 1973

 Well, we're into a new year, and I've decided to keep up my postings of the songs that were on the Top 40 (US) charts 50 years ago (1973).  Ah, 1973.  Nixon was inaugurated for his 2nd term as president, but the Watergate hearings kicked off.  The Billie Jean King / Bobby Riggs "Battle of the Sexes" took place.  The most popular TV shows were All in the Family and The Waltons, and the movies The Sting and The Exorcist debuted.  And most importantly to me, my 13th birthday (midyear).  Crazy times!

All of the 1972 music posts can be seen HERE, btw.

Following the format from last year, here's the Top 10 songs for January 1973, based on the average chart position (US charts) over the 4 weeks:

  • You're So Vain - Carly Simon  - 1.25
  • Superstition - Stevie Wonder - 2.25
  • Me And Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul - 3.75
  • Your Mama Don't Dance - Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina - 5.75
  • Clair - Gilbert O'Sullivan - 6.75
  • Crocodile Rock - Elton John - 7.25
  • Rockin' Pneumonia - Boogie Woogie Flu - Johnny Rivers - 7.25
  • Superfly - Curtis Mayfield - 9.25
  • Funny Face - Donna Fargo - 10
  • Why Can't We Live Together - Timmy Thomas - 11.5

Carly Simon's You're So Vain was #1 for the first 3 weeks of January, With Stevie Wonder's Superstition taking over the last week. There were 56 individual songs on the Top 40 over the course of the 4 weeks.

Pretty great month, frankly.  I own 8 of the 10 songs, there's only one I didn't remember.  

In the past, I've included a list of songs that made their Top 40 debuts, I'll keep that up, I suppose:

  • Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - The Spinners - 31
  • Dancing In The Moonlight - King Harvest - 32
  • Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend - Lobo - 33
  • Love Jones - Brighter Side Of Darkness - 34
  • Dreidel - Don McLean - 34
  • Last Song - Edward Bear - 34
  • Rocky Mountain High - John Denver - 35
  • Daddy's Home - Jermaine Jackson - 35
  • Do You Want To Dance? - Bette Midler  - 36
  • Jambalaya (On The Bayou) - The Blue Ridge Rangers - 37
  • Love Train The O'Jays 37
  • Looking Through The Eyes Of Love - The Partridge Family - 39
  • The Relay - The Who - 39
  • Reelin' and Rockin' - Chuck Berry - 40
  • Harry Hippie - Bobby Womack and Peace - 40
  • I'll Be Your Shelter (In Time Of Storm) - Luther Ingram - 40

So welcome to 1973.  Let me know if there's something you'd like me to add, I'll think about it!





No comments: