Friday, March 24, 2023

The Best Camera?

I've long been a proponent of the adage "The best camera is the one you have with you".  And I still am.  HOWEVER, that doesn't quite mean that the camera you have with you is necessarily the best camera...  

Case in point: I recently made a late afternoon walk at Watershed Nature Center.  Given the time, and the weather, and my mood, I decided to NOT plan on photography, and didn't take one of my "real" cameras.  Naturally, I came across this Hawk hanging out in one of the small trees just offthe trai:



If I had my Fujifilm with my 55-200mm lens (78-300mm equivalent) I might've managed a decent photo.  If I owned a longer lens, it would've been even better.  But I don't own a longer lens, and my telephoto was safe at home.  So I pulled out my phone  as quietly as I could and took a photo with that.  You can see it above, the Hawk is the spot in the middle.



Using lots of cropping, you can at least tell it is a hawk:



-----


I tried to inch quietly closer, but the hawk almost immediately took off, flying parallel to my position.  I took 2 more phone shots, only one of which fired before the hawk was obscured by tree branches. Below is a crop and an extreme crop of that photo:






-----

 Oh well, huh?  So the camera a had with me (phone) was certainly better than no camera, but dramatically worse than my idea camera.  Which still wasn't as good as options outside my budget.


No comments: