Saturday, September 16, 2023

Wild and Wonderful

During recent trips to SW Virginia, I've driven (in pieces) old Route 52 from Bluefield, WV almost to the NC Border.  This is the route we drove (rode) when my family lived in WV (in the 60's) when visiting my mother's family (in NC).  Wytheville, Hillsville, Fancy Gap....  Into NC past Mout Airey and Pilot Mountain.  Up and down the mountains on 2 lane windy roads.  Back before the interstates cut straight through the mountains and bypassed the towns.  (Sheesh, I sound like a lecture from Cars!).

Anyway, the last section I drove was from the south end of the East River Mountain Tunnel, up and over the mountain.  I had missed this on our last trip, as the posted Rt 52 now goes through the tunnel.  A quick look at a map showed that the old Rt. 52 is now named 598.  There's an overlook at the peak, just into WV, with views into Bluefield and southern WV.  




- - - -


- - - 


 

No comments: