Saturday, January 13, 2024

One Album A Day - 003

 As I noted before, I've been working through the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as presented though the 1001 album generator web site.  My goal is to present a week (or so) of reviews, once every week (or so).  

So here's the next few albums I listened to, subsequent to the last posting:



# - Date - Year Album - Artist - Rating - Global
15 - 2015 - Music in Exile - Songhoy Blues - 4 - 3.33
16 - 1991 Metallica - Metallica - 2 - 3.81
17 - 2004 American Idiot - Green Day - 3 - 3.72
18 - 1965 - Otis Blue - Otis Redding Sings Soul - Otis Redding - 4 - 3.95
19 - 1995 - Me Against The World - 2Pac - 1 - 3.28
20 - 1999 - São Paulo Confessions - Suba - 3 - 2.86
21 - 1969 - Elephant Mountain - The Youngbloods - 4 - 3.09
22 - 1964 - Rock 'N Soul - Solomon Burke - 3 - 3.38



And this posting's Reviews:
.
22 Rock 'N Soul Solomon Burke 3
Very solid 60’s R&B. An enjoyable listen, especially “Cry To Me”. There’s seven charting singles on this album, and those are the standouts. But it’s all good. A strong 3 but not enough to round up to 4. 3/5

21 Elephant Mountain The Youngbloods 4
This album was new to me, which is a little surprising, given the vintage and the style. I (of course) knew of the Youngbloods, and their hit “Get Together”. As I listened, I realized I also knew Sunlight. This is a solid album, and grew on me throughout the listening. Early country rock, in the same neighborhood as Buffalo Springfield, early Poco, Byrds (Sweetheart era), Etc. My overall rating is a bit more than the sum of the parts. No 5 star songs, but no clunkers, either. This will be one I’ll be revisiting.

20 São Paulo Confessions Suba 3
The first 1/2 dozen songs are pretty good, sort of latin/samba sounding. Pleasant enough if somewhat background-y. But the further I went, the more the electronic themes came more forward, and the less I liked it. And by the last song I was ready to be done. Some of these songs would be good on a playlist, but others would be skips. Certainly nothing I feel the need to actually own. 3/5

19 Me Against The World 2Pac 1
I have to say, I didn’t hate this as much as I expected to. Not to imply that I leaked it. There’s no redeeming value here. The lyrics are mostly misogyny, plus glorifying violence, drugs, guns, whatever. Lots of profanity and constant use of the “N” word. No melodies, just rapping over snips of rhythm. Frankly, it all blurs together for me. Obviously a lot of people appreciate Tupac, and rap / Hip Hop. And that’s ok. But it’s not for me. 1/5

18 Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul Otis Redding 4
This is a great album, from a great singer. It’s got a great feel, great “swing”. Most of this album is Redding covering contemporary songs, including some which were very well known. Plus his original version of Respect. Straight soul and R&B from Stax records (Memphis). This is one that I own, and one of my favorite 60’s souls/r&b albums. But I can’t quite call it essential. I’ll round down from 4.5/5, but it is really close.

17 American Idiot Green Day 3
When Dookie came out, I thought it was pretty good, bringing some energy to the wasteland that was MTV. I won’t call it punk sensibility though. By the time this album came out, I was in my early 40’s and just couldn’t muster the cynical anger that defines this music. Yeah, you think America sucks…. I just can’t care. I do like the Weird Al reenvisioning of Canadian Idiot, at least that’s good humored. Anyway, I don’t hate this, I just can’t muster the energy to share their anger. 3/5

16 Metallica Metallica 2
Perhaps if I had been 16 when this album came out, I would’ve liked it. Not sure it would’ve been a favorite even then. However, I was 31 when this came out. I had a wife, 2 kids, a solid start on a career. I just didn’t have the testosterone driven anger at the world, that this seems to call upon. And I’m good with that. I’ll go 2/5, just for “Enter Sandman” is a very good song, I do own that one. But don’t listen to it very often. 2/5

15 Music in Exile Songhoy Blues 4
Songhoy Blues is described by Wikipedia as a “desert blues band from Timbuktu, Mali”. I figured this would be interesting, and I was right.not just interesting, but really good. This is, naturally, not in English, so I don’t know if the lyrics are good or bad. But I REALLY like the music. The closest I can come in mood/tone is Charlie Parr’s Stumpjumper, but that’s just a general similarity. An easy 4, maybe higher if I get more familiar with it. 4/5

No comments: