Saturday, January 20, 2024

One Album A Day - 004

  As I noted before, I've been working through the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as presented though the 1001 album generator web site.  My goal is to present a week (or so) of reviews, once every week (or so).  

So here's the next few albums I listened to, subsequent to the last posting:


23 - 1965 - Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch - 3 - 3.00
24 - 2017 - american dream - LCD Soundsystem - 1 - 3.19
25 - 1959 - Take 5 - The Dave Brubeck Quartet - 5 - 3.81
26 - 1988 - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy - 1 - 3.39
27 - 1980 - Arc Of A Diver - Steve Winwood - 3 - 2.88
28 - 2000 - Red Dirt Girl - Emmylou Harris - 3 - 2.82
29 - 1960 - At Newport 1960 - Muddy Waters - 4 - 3.55
30 - 2005 - I Am a Bird Now - Antony and the Johnsons - 2 - 2.95



And this posting's Reviews:

30   I Am a Bird Now   Antony and the Johnsons   2 
I was unfamiliar with this artist/album, so I read through some of the comments before listening. Just about every one mentioned the vocalist’s vibrato…. And/or their “annoying voice”. And now I get it. Not my thing. I’ll call it a constant, distinct warble, excessive vibrato. The album’s sound is lush and clean, very good sound. Piano and strings dominate. That said, the songs are quite “down”; dirge like. Certainly maudlin. My favorite part of this album is the cover photo of Candy Darling, but even that sets the tone, as it is “on her deathbed”. Overall, this is a real downer of an album. I can respect it without liking it. 2/5

29    At Newport 1960    Muddy Waters    4
I understand that this album captures an important moment in music history, considered the first live blues album. That said, I have studio versions of about 1/2 this album (from Anthology), and prefer those versions. But that’s a comparatively minor quibble, and only keeps this from edging towards a 5. This is a solid 4.

28    Red Dirt Girl    Emmylou Harris    3
This is a pretty interesting album. Some songs I rather like, some I kind of don’t. I think my biggest disappointment is the instrumentation. Probably 1/3 of the songs include “drum box” rather than real drums, which gives a predictably mechanical feel. All of the songs have the layered, polished production typical of turn of the century pop. These are not what I expect from Emmylou Harris, and I think this would’ve been a much stronger album with a more “traditional” sound. It won a Grammy for “Best Contemporary Folk Album”, but it is more contemporary than folk. It’s a solid 3, but might’ve ranked higher (for me) if it actually sounded like an Emmylou Harris album. 3/5

27    Arc Of A Diver    Steve Winwood    3
This is pleasant enough, early 80’s pop, very synthesizer driven. Good to very good, but a little bit soul-less. I see that Winwood did everything here, writing, producing, engineering, all instruments. That, along w/ the synth emphasis, probably account for this. “While You See A Chance” was the big hit, which does suffer a bit from having been really overplayed. There’s some nice moments here, especially “Night Train”. But “Dust” found me checking to see how much was left…. That one is not worth the 6:20 devoted to it. Solid 3, but nowhere near a 4. I’d rather listen to anything from Traffic, Spencer Davis Group, or Even Blind Faith (Winwood’s earlier bands). 3/5

26    It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back    Public Enemy    1
I expected to hate this, I’m not a hip hop fan. But, I only disliked it, so that’s something I suppose. But I’m barely 2/3 the way through, and not sure if I can make it through the whole thing. I tried pulling up the lyrics to see if that helped…. It didn’t. The Wikipedia article says they “set out to create the hip hop equivalent of Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get On”. I think I’ll pull up that classic to flush this one out of my brain. 1/5

25    Time Out    The Dave Brubeck Quartet    5
Dave Brubeck’s 1959 classic is essential. The first Jazz album to sell 1M copies, and peaked at #2 on the Pop charts. I’d rate this in my top 5 Jazz albums of all time. Included in the National Recording Registry as being “culturally historically or aesthetically significant”. Besides all that, it’s just a great album. I love the use of unusual time signatures. Despite this explorations of various (and sometimes varying) time signatures, it is all accessible, with a “subtle blend of cool and west coast jazz” (quote from Wikipedia article). Smooth and Easy: 5/5, and highly recommended.

24    american dream    LCD Soundsystem    1
Well…. I don’t like this one. Often irritating, occasionally merely boring. Every once in a while both. There were some decent moments where they almost sounded a little reminiscent of Modern English. It it is all based on repetitive electronic rhythms. 1/5.

23    Bert Jansch    Bert Jansch    3
Just a guy and his guitar, mid 60's folk. Good enough, but not really anything special. I prefer Leo Kettke or John Fahey. Easy 3/5, but no higher.

No comments: