Friday, February 23, 2024

One Album A Day - 009

 As I noted before, I've been working through the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as presented though the 1001 album generator web site.  My goal is to present a week (or so) of reviews, once every week (or so).  

So here's the next few albums I listened to:


# - Year - Album - Artist - Rating - Global
68 - 1979 - Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young and Crazy Horse - 4 - 3.54
69 - 2004 - Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon - 3 - 3.06
70 - 1979 - London Calling - The Clash - 5 - 3.99
71 - 1969 - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - 5 - 4.14
72 - 1973 - Band On The Run - Paul McCartney and Wings - 5 - 3.64
73 - 1971 - The Yes Album - Yes - 5 - 3.32
74 - 1975 - Mothership Connection - Parliament - 4 - 3.63
75 - 2015 - Vulnicura - Björk - 1 - 2.82
76 - 1978 - Here, My Dear - Marvin Gaye - 3 - 3.24
77 - 1993 - Orbital 2 - Orbital - 1 - 2.74




And this posting's Reviews:

77   Orbital 2  Orbital   1
Let's see what the project serves me today: mid 90's band/album I've never heard of. OK... Genre is "Electronica", average rating is 2.74... uh-oh. Skim some reviews, found this: "this is a huge throwback for me. My pacifier and glowsticks, oversized pants, pigtails, pumas and DANCING!"... Double Uh-Oh. But, the point is to listen, so let's listen!

pause

Listening to this, I’m reminded of an old joke about Grateful Dead music. “Q: What does a deadhead say when the music stops? A: Wow, this music sucks!” Maybe Orbital would be awesome if I was at a Rave, doing whatever drugs you do at a Rave. But I’m not, never was, never will be. So this is NOT awesome. And it is very, Very, VERY repetitive.

I guess this is ok for what it is: background sounds for a mid 90’s party. Not really intended for you to pay much attention to, or sit and listen to. I thought about giving this a 2, and I might have, if didn’t just keep on going and going and going…. By the 50th minute, the irritation level had ramped up to max and I only listened to 1/2 of the last 3 songs.

76   Here, My Dear   Marvin Gaye   3
I was a teenager when this album came out, was familiar w/ Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” and “Let’s Get It On” albums…. But had never heard of this one… hmm…. Looking at Wikipedia, I see it’s a divorce album, not just an album about failed love, but an album recorded as part of a divorce settlement (awkward). And an album that didn’t do especially well at the time, but has grown in esteem.

Anyway, it’s ok as an album, the sound is pretty similar to “Let’s Get It On”. Lyrically, there’s quite a lot of overt bitterness here…. This is a message to his ex-wife, dumping some emotional baggage on her. I think that detracts from the overall album, it’s just too front and center, and pervasive. It all comes off as a little self-indulgent. Unlike some other divorce albums, like Dylan’s Blood On The Tracks, Phil Collins’ Face Value or Tom Petty’s Echo.

Meanwhile, there’s no hit here, and while the music is solid, there’s no really memorable pieces. “A Funky space Reincarnation” is the best song here, and reached #23 on the R&B charts. Bottom line. It’s ok, but I’d rather listen to Let’s Get It On.

Solid 3/5

75   Vulnicura   Björk   1
The first song starts out with the following lyrics, choked out syllable by syllable, over seemingly random meandering synthesizer strings:

“A juxtapositioning fate / Find our mutual coordinates / Moments of clarity are so rare / I better document this / at last the view is fierce / all that matters is this / who is open chested / and who is coagulated”

I’m just not sure how I can take that seriously. This is the second Bork album I’ve received in the 1st 75 days. I rated the 1st at 2/5, with the comments “I thought the first couple of songs were pretty good. Sort of an ambient, ethereal feel. But with each passing song it held my interest less and less. Just not really my ‘thing’. 2/5….” Well, the second album jumps straight into the bit about each song holding my interest less and less.

This doesn’t offend me, I don’t hate it. But I sure don’t like it either. As with the prior Bork album, it’s just not my thing. I’m bored by this, and that’s disappointing. Frankly, as I get further through this, it’s starting to kind of irritate me. I’m taking a break at about 1/2 way through, but I’m not expecting it to improve….

- - - -

It didn’t. I admit, I gave up somewhere in the middle of the 7th song. I guess I’m just not cool enough. 1/5

74   Mothership Connection   Parliament   4
The only song I knew going in was "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)", which is a great funk song, something that got a fair amount of exposure back in the day. I have a digital copy of this one. But I hadn't ever heard the whole album, so I was pretty interested when this came up today.

This is a pretty solid album in the realm of funk, most of it is quite good. I was groovin' the whole time. That said, "Give Up The Funk" is the only song that's really memorable, and the "radio announcements" part of the opening song weren't my favorite. I think this will deserve some additional listens before I make a final judgement, but I'll give it a conditional 4/5

73   The Yes Album   Yes   5
Yes is the quintessential 1st generation Prog Rock band, and this album kicked off a run of 5 essential prog albums in 45 months. They defined the genre, and turned out an amazing suite of albums in a short period of time. Props to ELP and Genesis, but Yes led the pack.

This is a great album, with some of their best known songs: Your Move (All Good People), Perpetual Change, Starship Trooper... Great stuff. From the personal standpoint, the single version of I've Seen All Good People was the first prog song I remember hearing on the radio, on my little transistor radio in the backyard of the family home. ELP's Lucky Man came out before, but peaked at #48 in the US, and I don't remember hearing it until later.

I am and have been intimately familiar with this album for 50+ years. I’ve had this on vinyl, I’ve had it on CD, I have it on digital. This is not my favorite Yes album, but it is probably a 3 way tie for #2. And an easy 5/5

72   Band On The Run   Paul McCartney and Wings   5
If you were listening to AOR radio in 1973/74, you’ve heard every song from this album. It was everywhere, and cemented Paul as the most commercially successful ex-Beatle. John’s “Mind Games” came out about the same time, and while that’s a great song, I don’t think it’s a great album. Likewise with George’s song “Give Me Love”, or Ringo’s song “Photograph” which were both released around the same time. Pretty impressive time for the guys.

That said, Band On The Run is by far the best overall album. It’s McCartney, so it is catchy tunes, great Melodie’s, well played and produced. Lyrically it’s nothing too deep and meaningful, but not like some of the fluff he put out occasionally.

This album is party of the mid-70’s rock soundtrack. If you were there, you know it. If you weren’t this is a great collection of classic rock “deep tracks”.  5/5

71   Led Zeppelin   Led Zeppelin   5
Led Zep’s first album is the opening blast from one of the best hard rock bands ever. “Good Times Bad Times” may be the best opening track of any debut album in rock history. A great introduction (warning?) about what was in store.

That said, “I” is not my favorite LZ album. Depending on the day, that’s either “II” or “Zoso” (IV). This one stays pretty close to the reworking of blues standards formula, but they sure do it well.

I’ve said before that LZ is the greatest rock band. Not my favorite rock band, but up near my top. But from the music to the image and back to the music, they ruled the roost from 1969 through the 70’s.

If you asked me to list the best Rock / Hard Rock albums of the classic rock period, this is an easy addition.  5/5

70   London Calling   The Clash  5
Early 1980, and I was doing some freelance photography for the college newspaper, as a favor to my girlfriend's roommate. And to get access to their darkroom. One day I noticed a stack of records that had been sent to them to review. Nobody had claimed this one, so I jumped on it. I had the Clash's 1st album, and a couple of 45's / EPs, so I figured this would be worth having. That's a big win!

This is one of the most iconic albums of the English punk rock scene, though it marks a big step towards the mainstream. It also an iconic album overall, ranking #8 non the original (2003) Rolling Stone list of 500 Top Albums of all time.

This album still has some of the angry posturing of the earlier Clash, but it is tempered, and the rough edges are a bit more polished. And the heavy-handed politics of later Clash albums is largely reined in here. Their US commercial breakthrough, their first album to crack Top 100 (#27) with their 1st US Top 40 hit (Train In Vain at #23).

The sound is great, the songs are great, there's a wide variety of stylings to keep it from getting monotonous (a minor problem with their 1st album). It is a bit long as a double album, but I'm not sure what you'd drop to shorten it.

This is one of the few albums that I'd rate as IMPORTANT (TM) in the context of rock music. 5/5

69   Aha Shake Heartbreak   Kings of Leon   3
Well, I really like the way this started off, the first song really kicked. Then, 41 seconds in, the vocalist came in and ruined it. It's a shame, because musically, this album is really good, in a 2000's indie kind of way. I pulled up the lyrics around the 3rd song, and kinda sorry I did. Not exactly deep and meaningful. Actually, not remotely deep and meaningful. But I do like the music (as I've already noted).

Bottom line? 3/5 swap out to a decent singer, and add even a semblance of interest in the lyrics and this is a solid 4 (at least). just could've been so much more...  3/5

68   Rust Never Sleeps   Neil Young and Crazy Horse   4
This is Neil Young’s last album of the 1970’s; a remarkable decade that saw him release 9 studio albums, 2 live albums, a soundtrack album, and a 3-disc compilation. Oh yeah, and his work with CSNY (1 live album, 1 studio album and 1 hits album)…. And a collaboration album with Stills. Frightfully prolific, and at much of it is essential. Including Rust Never Sleeps.

This is a fascinating album, mostly recorded live, but all new songs, and presented without crowd noise. Somewhat similar to Jackson Browne’s “Running on Empty”…. Side 1 (of the original vinyl) is essentially acoustic, more introspective. Side 2 brings our Crazy Horse to rock out. Somewhat similar to Still’s prior Alive album.

It all works, well, though the song “Welfare Mothers” is a little trite, and maybe a touch offensive…

I own 6 of NY’s studio albums from the 70’s, purchased in the 70’s on the original vinyl. (And a couple others from the 70’s purchased later…. And some pre and post 70’s stuff, of course). This is probably #5 in my rank of the 70’s Neil Young output, probably #6 if you include CSNY.. I actually hadn’t played it in a while before this, and it was like revisiting an old friend, very enjoyable. But I prefer side 1 by a lot, and “Hey Hey  My My” is the only iconic song here. I really want to go 5 here, but just can’t quite convince myself. After struggling, I’ll round 4.5 down to 4.


No comments: