Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Resistance Is Useless!

I've been reading some of the news reports on enhanced TSA screening proceedures and the propoer image finally popped into my head.  Yep, the Vogon guards from Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.
If you're familiar with the book(s) (or the radio show, the TV show, the infocom game or the movie) you'll know what I mean.  If not, look here.

"Try and understand his problem," insisted Ford. "Here he is poor lad, his entire life's work is stamping around, throwing people off spaceships ..."   "And shouting," added the guard.   "And shouting, sure," said Ford patting the blubbery arm clamped round his neck in friendly condescension, "... and he doesn't even know why he's doing it!"

Now, I'm all for keeping us safe, and preventing terrorist attacks and all, but does anybody really think what they're doing at airports these days accomplishes the stated goal?  Last time I flew (~5 weeks ago), I got to experience the naked body scan and a remarkably thorough groping of my ankles.  Only my ankles, though.  But a really, really careful groping.  Apparently I hadn't pulled my socks up sufficiently.....  The whole experience was disconcerting...  Not quite as maddening as the time a few years ago when a TSA guy tried to steal my laptop*.  But disconcerting.  my circle of drive vs fly continues to expand.

OK, that's enough rant, back to the pleasant fluff I normally post...

* Full disclosure:  I cannot prove that the TSA agent was actually trying to steal my laptop.  But he did remove it from the gray bin, and conceal it until challenged.  And there is no acceptable explanation for his actions.

No comments: