Wednesday, June 06, 2012

You see, it's all clear, You were meant to be here...

One of my most viewed posts dates all the way back to October 21, 2005.  It's in my Top 5 overall, but is also #5 in views this week.  I wonder why.  Regardless, revised and revisited:


Emerson Lake and Palmer had their first and only pop hit (of the 70's) on 10/21/1972, as "From The Beginning" cracked the Top 40 charts. I wouldn't have expected to see Karn Evil #9 or Tarkus, but it's kind of surprising that "Still You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man" didn't make it to the Top 40 (Lucky Man peaked at #48).  And "From the Beginning" only made it to #39.  It was on the charts for 11 weeks, but only spent 2 in the Top 40.

Meanwhile, I never had a chance to see Emerson Lake And Palmer in concert.  So no concert story.  The first ELP album I owned was "Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends", their 1974 three disc live album.  I picked this up while visiting family in North Carolina, probably 1974, maybe 1975.  I don't remember the price, but it was cheap.  Not too much later I picked up 1973's Brain Salad Surgery (on 8 Track!).  Interestingly, I never had "Trilogy", which includes "From The Beginning", and it's not included on "Welcome Back....".  So I didn't actually own this song until the digital age, when I acquired an ELP Hits album....

No comments: