Thursday, February 19, 2015

Throwback Thursday #42054 - BP Revisited

From sometime in 2002 through the early 2008, I was pretty active at BetterPhoto.com.   It was a fun site, it inspired my "rejuvination" in photography, and I met a lot of cool people.  But, for me at least, it kind of ran its course.  Now, in the spirit of throwback, I figured to post some of my favorite (or at least notable) images from those days.

During my days at BetterPhoto, I often felt that my work was underapreciated by the judges, that my photos I REALLY liked received rather limited recognition.  Anyway, (to make a long story short), I decided to prove a point:  that some level of success could be acheived by photographing an isolated object placed at a "rule of thirds power point", against a blue background.  Like a small boat on water.  I made two different images, and BOTH won "finalist".  Just goes to show...

The first image (above) was posted March 2005.  the one below in June 2005.  This one features a forced blue background (changed from green in PSE).  I had posted the "real" version (with green background), and it recieved no notice.  So I decided to test my point by reposting w/ a blue background.

Both images received Finalist status at BP.  Which I took as proof of my point back then.  But there's not a good "so what?", so I guess it was just an exercise in sour grapes.  And at least I'm not bitter...





No comments: