Thursday, January 28, 2016

This Month In Music - January 1966

Regular readers may have noticed a recent post "This Month In Music - January 1986"...  My first such post in a long time, since I lost access to my reference.  But this week, I found another online reference, so I'm back in business.  Hope you like it....


So....  1966 was a whopping 50 years ago.  I started 1st grade in 1966, so I wasn't going to concerts or anything.  My earliest "time tagged" memories of music start in 1967, but I'm sure I was aware....  And I own a large percentage of these songs.  As usual, my posts will focus on the Top 40

The charts were Five Saturdays in January 1966, so the Billboard charts were publish 5 Times.  Over those 5 weeks, there were 64 songs that appeared in the Top 40.  But only 2 songs made it to #1, The Beatles' "We Can Work It Out" (3 weeks) and Simon And Garfunkel's "The Sound Of Silence" (2 weeks).

Based on the average chart position over the 5 weeks of January 1966, here are the Top 40 songs:



  • Name - Artist - Average Position
  • We Can Work It Out - The Beatles  - 1.4
  • The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel  - 3.6
  • She's Just My Style - Gary Lewis And The Playboys  - 5.6
  • Five O'Clock World - The Vogues  - 6.4
  • Day Tripper - The Beatles  - 10.4
  • No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In) - The T-Bones  - 11.0
  • Flowers On The Wall - The Statler Brothers  - 12.0
  • A Must To Avoid - Herman's Hermits  - 13.8
  • Ebb Tide - The Righteous Brothers  - 14.0
  • You Didn't Have To Be So Nice - The Lovin' Spoonful  - 15.2
  • As Tears Go By - The Rolling Stones  - 17.2
  • Over And Over - The Dave Clark Five  - 17.2
  • The Duck - Jackie Lee  - 17.4
  • Just Like Me - Paul Revere & The Raiders Featuring Mark Lindsay  - 17.8
  • Spanish Eyes - Al Martino  - 19.0
  • I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown And The Famous Flames - 20.0
  • The Men In My Little Girl's Life - Mike Douglas  - 20.6
  • Attack - The Toys  - 24.0
  • Jenny Take A Ride! - Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels  - 24.4
  • Satin Pillows - Bobby Vinton  - 26.0
  • Lies - The Knickerbockers  - 28.6
  • Thunderball - Tom Jones  - 30.6
  • A Well Respected Man - The Kinks  - 31.8
  • Sandy - Ronny And The Daytonas  - 33.2
  • Crying Time - Ray Charles  - 34.2
  • My Love - Petula Clark  - 35.2
  • A Sweet Woman Like You - Joe Tex  - 36.2
  • Look Through Any Window - The Hollies  - 37.2
  • Barbara Ann - The Beach Boys  - 37.4
  • It Was A Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra  - 40.2
  • Under Your Spell Again - Johnny Rivers  - 42.8
  • Second Hand Rose - Barbra Streisand  - 44.2
  • Zorba The Greek - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass  - 44.6
  • Fever - The McCoys  - 44.8
  • Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) - The Byrds  - 45.0
  • Are You There (With Another Girl) - Dionne Warwick  - 45.4
  • Let's Hang On! - The 4 Seasons Featuring the Sound of Frankie Valli - 45.4
  • Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder  - 45.6
  • Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles  - 45.6
  • Lightnin' Strikes - Lou Christie  - 50.0

No a bad month at all....  Some really outstanding songs

No comments: