Thursday, August 31, 2017

Allentown

So...  not quite two weeks ago, I posted that I had walked 791 miles in 2017, about equivalent to a drive from STL to Washington DC suburbs.  That's all fine and dandy, let's shift to the musical spirit that's more common here.

As of this week, I've walked the equivalent of travelling from my home to Allentown, PA.  That old steel-town that's a bit north of Philly, and only known to most people as the subject of the Billy Joel song.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnJp0oyOxs


Billy Joel's Allentown is from the 1982 album The Nylon Curtain.  Propelled by a music video, back when music videos were the "new thing", it reached #17 on the Billboad charts...  One of 23 Top 20 hits he released between 1977 and 1993...

 I think it has been more than 25 years since I've been to Allentown...  I've only been there on business, don't really have strong opinion one way or the other.....  But I was never a huge fan of the song.  I guess the comparatively upbeat music clashing with the quite depressing lyrics...  But I've warmed to it over the subsequent years.

No comments: