Saturday, September 29, 2018

Album Review: Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilson



Artist: Harry Nilsson
Released:  November, 1971

This is one of the first albums I owned.  I think I got it when “Coconut” was on the charts (which peaked at #8 on 08/26/1972.  I have a memory of hearing that song at the pool that summer, while visiting a friend in West Virginia.  I turned 12 that summer, and been entering 7th grade that fall.  This would've been around the time that I was discovering FM radio, and the world beyond Casey Kasem, and this album was a good bridge.

It quickly became my favorite record.  And it has remained a staple in my collection.  It doesn't get played every day, or every week.  But it gets played all along.  Not bad for 45 years down the road.  

While Coconut was the hook that caught me, I was quickly taken in by the rest of the album.  My favorites would include: Down, Jump Into The Fire, Driving Along, Early In The Morning....  The drive of those first 2, the groove of the second two...  it blew my young mind.  the Interestingly, the biggest hit, "Without You" is not one of my favorites.  I don't dislike it, and it is certainly a great song.  Just I like others more.  The only song I didn't really like in my youth was I'll Never Leaver You, a dark sounding song, with piano, voice, strings and horns.  It was a bit too far outside my brain at the time.  Still not a favorite, but I've appreciated it on a different level through the years.  This is a piano album, not much in the way of screaming guitars.  Which shouldn't be surprising as Nilsson was a Piano player.


Obscurity Index:  This was pretty popular at the time of its release.  It spawned three (3) hit singles, two including Jump Into the Fire (#27), Coconut (#8) and Without You (#1).  The album peaked at #3, and is certified gold.  It also garnered a Grammy nomination for Album Of The Year.  So, at the time it wasn’t obscure at all.  

Trivia:  The album was released on Dynaflex vinyl.  This was a process RCA came up with in the late 60's, which resulted in thinner records that were somewhat "floppy".  At least compared to normal records.  I think they touted it to be less prone to damage (cracks and such).  I have several dynaflex albums from the early 70's, but the format certainly didn't take over the world.


Allmusic rated Nilsson Schmilsson 4.5 stars, it carries 554 user ratings, also 4.5/50.  I rated it a 5.0 on allmusic (sometime in the past), and will stick with it.  5.0.


This album is available on Spotify and Amazon Music.  Check it out!

Back cover, and the RCA "orange" label, w/ dynaflex" logo:





No comments: