Sunday, June 16, 2019

High Water on the Mississippi river

Driving across the Chain Of Rocks Bridge yesterday, the Mississippi River was as high as I remember seeing it.  I presume it was higher during the flood of '93, but I don't remember.  (I know it was higher in Alton, don't know about this spot).  Anyway, headed into Missouri, I noticed just how high the river was on the water inlet towers. 

 Sadly, there really isn't a way to get near enough to take a decent photo at the moment.  So, for the drive home I preset my camera, and on the eastbound crossing snapped 5-6 photos out of the car window.  No look, no zoom, just hoped to get lucky.  All the same:  don't try this yourselves kids!



- - - -

They're not good photos, hardly even snapshots.  But they do give an idea just how high the river is.

By comparison, here's some previous photos of these structures:


April 2003, from the Old Chain Of Rocks Bridge



September 2018, from the Old Chain Of Rocks Bridge:



No comments: