Sunday, June 09, 2019

R.I.P. Dr. John

You've probably heard by now, but American musician Dr. John, died last Thursday, June 6, 2019.

Dr. John (real name Mac Rebennack) was a 6 time Grammy winner and 2011 inductee to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. One of the great piano players in rock and roll...

I believe I first heard Dr. John with the single Right Place, Wrong Time, which peak at #9 a week or so after my 13th birthday.  And I'm pretty sure I remember when Such A Night was out, which just missed the Top 40 a few months later.  I certainly remember his performance in The Band's Last Waltz.  So, for a long time, a musician I knew of, and respected.  But I didn't actually own any Dr. John music until 1989's In A Sentimental Mood, featuring a fun duet of Makin' Whoopie with Rickie Lee Jones, which got a lot of airplay on MTV (back when they played music videos!).

When the 2 CD anthology Mos Scocious came out in 1993, I snapped it up, and savored the experience.  Over time, I picked up Television (on cassette!) and Duke Elegant...

Overall a really broad range of music, but most of it with a great funkyness and groove.

I highly recommend Mos Scocious, it's on Spotify.




No comments: