Friday, June 21, 2019

You are not in control of your environment, only your tools

As I mentioned Monday, last weekend was Creve Coeur Camera's Photopalooza event, and I attended a couple of presentations.

Anyway, during a session on Landscape Photography, the instructor (Shiv Verma) made the comment:   You are not in control of your environment, only your tools

Fortunately, it was echoed on one of his slides, so I was able to take a photo and remember it.

I thought it was pretty insightful, and applicable far beyond photography.  Now, I don't see this as a justification to go gear-crazy, and I do think that Ansel Adams could take a Polaroid photo that would blow away anything I could do with the best equipment on the planet. (and he did).  The point (as I see it) is that you control what you can, and accept what you can't.  You can't take sweeping landscapes on ugly days.  But you can take good photographs.

From Feb, 2018...


No comments: