Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Burning Bridges - Resignation Letter Hall Of Fame


I was digging through some old files last night, and came across a copy of a resignation letter written by a co-worker back in 1997. The individual who wrote it certainly wasn’t shy about voicing his opinion. Nor sharing it, as he sent this to every person in the company (via All_Users). He became a bit of a folk hero, actually, as he vented some frustrations that many employees felt. Of course, one wouldn’t expect this kind of missive to drive any real change in a company, and this was no exception. On the other hand, it did lead to one significant change: blocking the ALL_USERS function.


From: REDACTED
To: ALL_USERS
Date: Friday, April 25, 1997 5:02PM

Friends and fellow employees,

The time has come for me to say good-bye. I'm using this rather unorthordox method to give notice. I quit. I won't be back. Come sometime tonite or Saturday morning... I'lI be long gone from REDACTED. To the Keys... No going away parties, no tears. That's the way I prefer it.


My computer game has taken off and certain software companies have made me offers I cannot possibly refuse. I hope I never turn into one of the "pointy haired dudes" by remembering the lessons I've learned from the ones around here.

Certain decisions made by management over the last year have helped to propel me out the door. Shall we start with a mere lateral transfer instead of a promotion? (Hell, programmers always make more than tech writers.) Or firing the wrong Engineering Manager? (my view). How about deciding to use the "high priced consultants from out of town" instead of in-house talent to produce the next web page? Just a few reasons. I could go on, by why flog a dead horse?


Perhaps if management were more "humane" and allowed the workers to keep their dignity, myself and many others might still be here. (Remember PRIDE....which translated down to "it's your fault ...not managements.. "). If so, perhaps most of you wouldn't be looking for employment elsewhere. Perhaps.. if management decides to really give a damn and get to know the employees instead of just sitting on mahogany row and paying lip service ... Nah...


Anyway, it's been a real joy knowing all of you and I'll miss you all. I wish those of you with resumes out, good luck in finding jobs elsewhere. May you find an oppurtunity such as I have. One that will be both personally and financially rewarding.


Peace and may God Bless you All,
REDACTED

Well, at least he wasn't bitter.  I have no idea what happened to him, never heard anything more.  Exceot that when he left (for the Keys?) he forgot to tell his wife & family where he was headed.

No comments: