Monday, August 27, 2012

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the 80's - #17 - Police Synchronicity

Continuing the series on the Top 100 Albums of the 80's.  Or at least the ones I have....
Continuing to work backwards, into the top 20:

#17 - The Police - Synchronicity







Released in June 1983, Synchonicity was the 5th and final album from the Police.  The original Rolling Stone review called it a "bleak, brilliant safari into Sting's heart and soul".  Certainly thier most successful, it is also my least favorite.  It spawned 4 Top 20 hits (3 of which were Top 10), while the previous four Police albums combined for only 5.  But Synchonicity also has some of my least favorite Police songs.  To me, it is a hugely uneven effort.  "Every Breath You Take" (#1) is offset by the positively grating "Mother".  "King Of Pain" (#3) is offset by "Oh My God".  Etc.

Itnteresting, 4 of the 5 Police albums made Rollings Stone's list of the Top 500 albums of all time. But Synchonicity ranked 4th of those 5 at #455.  1981's Ghost In The Machine ranked as the best Police album in that list (at #322) but didn't make the cut for "Best Of The 80's".  In fact, my personal ranking of the Police's albums peaks with their 1st release, and ramps steadily down over the 5 albums...   But that's just me, I suppose.






No comments: