Thursday, August 16, 2012

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the 80's - #55 - John Fogarty - Centerfield

Continuing the series on the Top 100 Albums of the 80's.  Or at least the ones I have....
Continuing to work backwards:

#55 - John Fogarty - Centerfield

I was a little surprised to see this one on the list, and solidly mid-pack. I guess it was an “important” album, Fogarty’s first release in 9 years, and spawned two Top 20 hits (“The Old Man Down The Road” and “Rock And Roll Girl”). And the title track, which is still a staple at ballparks around the country. It did go to #1 on the album charts. On the other hand, it often sounds so much like CCR that his prior record company sued him for plagiarizing himself. Gotta love the music industry!

But I have this album, and beyond those three songs, it’s pretty “meh”.

This is probably one of the last few albums I purchased on vinyl, back in 1985. My wife gave me a CD player for Christmas in December 1985, and that was the end of vinyl for me.

And a Baseball photo, the centerfielder for the Pittsburgh pirates.  Click for larger version(s):



No comments: